JSF 2 Custom components having Expression Language for attribute value don't trigger the attribute setter

Viewed 4699

I have build a custom component in JSF 2.0

The tag looks like this:

<x:myTag id="1" name="AAA" />

The corresponding java class:

@FacesComponent("a.b.c.MyTag")
public class UIMyTag extends UIInput {

   private String name;
   private String id;

   public String getId() {
      return id;
   }

   public void setId(String id) {
       this.id = id;
   }


   public String getId() {
      return id;
   }

   public void setId(String id) {
       this.id = id;
   }

   public String getName() {
      return name;
   }

   public void setName(String name) {
       this.name = name;
   }

   @Override
   public void encodeBegin(FacesContext context) throws IOException {
       ResponseWriter writer = context.getResponseWriter();
       logger.debug(getName()); //prints null for name="#{dummyBean.name}" 
                                //   and AAA for name="AAA"
       logger.debug(getAttributes().get("name")); // always correct value
   ...
}
   ....

}

If I use

<x:myTag id="1" name="AAA" />

everything works as expected, but when I use EL for myTag attributes the setName() method never gets called. So for,

<x:myTag id="#{dummyBean.id}" name="#{dummyBean.name}" />

I always get null for the name property inside my encodeBegin method. After debugging I've noticed that the setName method never gets called. I thought that maybe something regarding EL messes things up (and I still believe that the reason is related to that), but what's really weird is that the id property works good: the setter gets called, and the value is as expected when the econding begins.

I have to mention that if I call getAttributes().get("name") from the encodeBegin method I get the correct name value, but I'm intrigued why it doesn't work with getter and setter.

Any ideas what's missing to my component?

1 Answers
Related