Reducing PDF file size using Ghostscript on Linux didn't work

Viewed 24476

I have about 50-60 pdf files (images) that are 1.5MB large each. Now I don't want to have such large pdf files in my thesis as that would make downloading, reading and printing a pain in the rear. So I tried using ghostscript to do the following:

gs \
  -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH \
  -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \
  -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 \
  -dPDFSETTINGS="/screen" \
  -sOutputFile=output.pdf \
    L_2lambda_max_1wl_E0_1_zg.pdf

However, now my 1.4MB pdf is 1.5MB large.

What did I do wrong? Is there some way I can check the resolution of the pdf file? I just need 300dpi images, so would anyone suggest using convert to change the resolution or is there someway I could change the image resolution (reduce it) with gs, since the image is very grainy when I use convert

How I use convert:

 convert \
     -units PixelsPerInch \
      ~/Desktop/L_2lambda_max_1wl_E0_1_zg.pdf \
     -density 600 \
      ~/Desktop/output.pdf

Example File

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13223318/L_2lambda_max_1wl_E0_1_zg.pdf

2 Answers
Related