MSBuild build order

Viewed 20371

I have a large solution with more than 100 projects (C++, Managed C++, C#) and many of them depends on each others.

I have a TeamCity server and I want build this solution there.

When I build solution in VisualStudio everything goes fine, but with TeamCity I have a CS0006 error. I know why that so - TeamCity uses MSBuild 4 to build solutions, but there is a known bug in MSBuild 4 - it ignores build order and build projects from solutions in order it wants. Because of this behavior if you have:

Project A
Project B which has reference to A

MSBuild can build these project in such order:

1. B
2. A

The easiest solution is to set BuildProjectReferences=true (which is default) and all referenced project will be builded automatically. But I can't use this approach because not all referenced project in this solution, and I can't build projects from another solution.

Here is another fix for this problem - use ConfigurationManager and disable all projects, which shouldn't build, but it works only in VisualStudio - MSBuild ignores that and builds all referenced projects.

The problem is to restore build order which I can see in VisualStudio in window ProjectBuildOrder which is not true if I use MSBuild directly from Console.

4 Answers

The solution above didn't quite work for me when trying to build a .Net Standard project that depended on the output from a .Net Core project. I had to add an additional "SkipGetTargetFrameworkProperties" in order to get the solution to build in VS2017 and MSBuild.

<ProjectReference Include="foo.csproj">
    <ReferenceOutputAssembly>false</ReferenceOutputAssembly>
    <SkipGetTargetFrameworkProperties>true</SkipGetTargetFrameworkProperties>
</ProjectReference>

Nothing mentioned above did not help for me. The aolution I used was to build the sln few times, passing /t:1stproject.csproj in the first run, then /t:2ndproject and at the end the sln without /t to comlete the rest of the solution.

Related