CAST to DECIMAL in MySQL

Viewed 223039

I am trying to cast to Decimal in MySQL like this:

CAST((COUNT(*) * 1.5) AS DECIMAL(2))

I'm trying to convert the number of rows in a table (times 1.5) to a floating point number with two digits after the point.

SQL code:

 SELECT CONCAT(Guardian.title, ' ', 
               Guardian.forename, ' ', 
               Guardian.surname) AS 'Guardian Name', 
               COUNT(*) AS 'Number of Activities', 
               (COUNT(*) * 1.5) AS 'Cost'
 FROM Schedule
 INNER JOIN Child ON Schedule.child_id = Child.id
 INNER JOIN Guardian ON Child.guardian = Guardian.id
 GROUP BY Guardian
 ORDER BY Guardian.surname, Guardian.forename ASC

It produces an error:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that 
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use 
near 'CAST((COUNT(*) * 1.5) AS DECIMAL(12,2))' at line 1.

Another try, this cast also doesn't work:

 SELECT CONCAT(Guardian.title, ' ', 
               Guardian.forename, ' ', 
               Guardian.surname) AS 'Guardian Name', 
               COUNT(*) AS 'Number of Activities', 
               CAST((COUNT(*) * 1.5) AS DECIMAL(8,2)) AS 'Cost'
 FROM Schedule
 INNER JOIN Child ON Schedule.child_id = Child.id
 INNER JOIN Guardian ON Child.guardian = Guardian.id
 GROUP BY Guardian
 ORDER BY Guardian.surname, Guardian.forename ASC

How do I use mysql to cast from integer to decimal?

5 Answers

I'm lazy:

0 + colname

Furthermore, this works for fixed with any number of decimal places, float, etc.

See also ROUND() and FORMAT().

An alternative, I think for your purpose, is to use the round() function:

select round((10 * 1.5),2) // prints 15.00

You can try it here:

Related