CSS3 gradient rendering issues from transparent to white

Viewed 32849

I am having issues with cross browser rendering of CSS3 gradients. This is happening when I am trying to create a gradient from transparent colour to white.

The file I am using to test with is: http://f.cl.ly/items/0E2C062x3O161b09261i/test.html

CSS used is:

background-image: linear-gradient(top, rgba(255,255,255,0) 0%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 50%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 100%);
background-image: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgba(255,255,255,0) 0%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 50%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 100%);
background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgba(255,255,255,0) 0%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 50%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 100%);
background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgba(255,255,255,0) 0%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 50%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 100%);
background-image: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgba(255,255,255,0) 0%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 50%, rgba(255,255,255,1) 100%);

Rending looks like what I want in Safari 6 (mac): Safari 6 Mac OS 10.8

Chrome rendering fades to gray colour before it fades to white (Firefox renders this way also on mac os): Chrome 21 Mac OS 10.8

Any ideas or suggestions on why this odd rendering might be?

5 Answers

The trick with a color besides white (and with white actually) is to rgba the actual color that is fading.

background-image: linear-gradient(to right, 
  rgba(111,174,249, 0) 0%,
  rgba(111,174,249, 0) 80%,
  rgb (111,174,249)    100%);

In case the color being used is hex (like #6faef9) use a hex to rgba converter to convert the color.

I've recently encountered the same issue regarding transparency on safari. What worked for me was substituting the css into the compiled safari css.

This didn't work for me

 background-image: linear-gradient(to top, rgba(56,56,56,1) 5%, rgba(255,255,255,0.001) 100%)

This did work for me

background-image: linear-gradient(0deg,#383838 5%, hsla(0, 0%, 20%, 0) 100%)
Related