Oracle Database 11g JDBC Drivers - So many files ??? What do they mean?

Viewed 8858

I wanted to use Oracle 11g as my db for java code. I tried to get the drivers from the oracle website. I saw so many files with some jargon thrown in here and there. I need to know what those words mean and how they affect me as a user. How do I decide which one to use ? I picked ojdbc6.jar because I use jdk 6. Please help me to understand what the descriptions of the file mean and who should be concerned about them and why ?

ojdbc6.jar - Classes for use with JDK 1.6. It contains 
the JDBC driver classes except classes for NLS support in 
Oracle Object and Collection types.

ojdbc6_g.jar - Same as ojdbc6.jar except compiled 
with "javac -g" and contains tracing code.

ojdbc6dms.jar - Same as ojdbc6.jar, except 
that it contains instrumentation to support DMS 
and limited java.util.logging calls.

orai18n.jar - NLS classes for use with JDK 1.5, and 
1.6. It contains classes for NLS support in Oracle 
Object and Collection types. This jar file replaces 
the old nls_charset jar/zip files.

xdb6.jar - To use the standard JDBC4.0 java.sql.SQLXML 
interface with JDBC 11.2.0.3, you need to use xdb6.jar
(instead of xdb.jar) from the 11.2.0.3 distribution.

EDIT -

Btw, what is the SimpleFan.jar for ? I saw that too.

Thanks.

1 Answers
Related