Web deployment task failed. Could not connect...server did not respond

Viewed 111216

I've been publishing my Lightswitch app using Visual Studio 2012 RC to my localhost (Win 7, SQL 2008 R2, IIS 7.5) just fine. Now I'm trying to publish to a remote server (Win 2008 R2, SQL 2008 R2, IIS 7.5) and I'm having trouble.

When I try to Publish, I receive the following error:

Web deployment task failed. (Could not connect to the remote computer ("###.###.###.###") using the specified process ("Web Deployment Agent Service") because the server did not respond. Make sure that the process ("Web Deployment Agent Service") is started on the remote computer. Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_REMOTESVC.)

I've checked each of the things the "learn more" link suggests to check. I have verified that MsDepSvc and WMSVC are both running and Ports 80 and 8172 are both responding to port scans. In the Publish settings, for the Service URL, I'm using the IP address (http://###.###.###.###) of the remote machine. For the User Name, I'm using DomainName\Administrator which is what I use to log on using RDP.

I've posted on the MSDN Forums where a member suggested I roll back the Web Deployment Tool from V2.0 to V1.1. Which I've done, but it did not change anything.

Following the advice in an answer to this SO Question I've tried running msdeploy from the command line.

From the command line on the server I get:

C:\Program Files\IIS\Microsoft Web Deploy>msdeploy -verb:dump -source:dirpath=c:\temp,computername=http://SeverName:80/msdeployagentservice,username=Administrator,password=XXXX -verbose -debug Verbose: Using ID 'c12c3392-2290-44b7-9434-dbd0ff5f9385' for connections to the remote server. Verbose: Pre-authenticating to remote agent URL 'http://ServerName:80/msdeployagentservice' as 'Administrator'. MSDeploy.dirPath (name=MSDeploy.dirPath) c:\temp (name=dirPath) (keyAttribute=c:\temp) (linkName=Child1)

From the command line on the dev machine I get:

C:\Program Files\IIS\Microsoft Web Deploy V3>msdeploy -verb:dump -source:dirpath =c:\temp,computername=http://###.###.###.###:80/msdeployagentservice,username=Administrator,password=XXXX -verbose -debug Info: Using ID '7f0b7d5b-e202-424c-a7dd-246920253081' for connections to the remote server. Verbose: Pre-authenticating to remote agent URL 'http://###.###.###.###:80/msdeployagentservice' as 'Administrator'. Verbose: Pre-authenticating to remote agent URL 'http://###.###.###.###:80/msdeployagentservice' as 'Administrator'. Error Code: ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_REMOTESVC More Information: Could not connect to the remote computer ("###.###.###.###") using the specified process ("Web Deployment Agent Service") because the server did not respond. Make sure that the process ("Web Deployment Agent Service") is started on the remote computer. Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_REMOTESVC. Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_REMOTESVC. ---> Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentException: Object of type 'dirPath' and path 'c:\temp' cannot be created. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request. at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.AgentClientProvider.GetHttpResponse(HttpWebRequest request) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- --- End of Inner Exception Stack Trace --- at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentManager.CreateObjectPrivate(DeploymentProviderContext providerContext, DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions, DeploymentObject sourceObject, String serverVersion) at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentManager.CreateObject(DeploymentProviderOptions providerOptions, DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions) at MSDeploy.MSDeploy.CreateObject(DeploymentProviderOptions providerOptions, DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions) at MSDeploy.MSDeploy.ExecuteWorker() at MSDeploy.MSDeploy.Execute()
at MSDeploy.MSDeploy.Main(String[] unusedArgs) Error count: 1.

Using Wireshark, I find that I am logging in okay but after a POST /MSDEPLOYAGENTSERVICE I'm getting an Error 400: Bad request that looks like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">\r\n
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Bad Request</TITLE>\r\n
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></HEAD>\r\n
<BODY><h2>Bad Request - Invalid Content Length</h2>\r\n
<hr><p>HTTP Error 400. There is an invalid content length or chunk length in the request.</p>\r\n
</BODY></HTML>\r\n

The only thing I could find that mentioned this specific behavior was a Microsoft Support Article for ISA Server 2000.

What else should I be looking at?

32 Answers

This error ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_REMOTESVC cost me two days to figure out that for my case, the site name didn't match. The site name on the remote IIS server was different from the site name i had set in visual Studio for the deployment. I hope it helps someone

I had similar problem "ERROR_COULD_NOT_CONNECT_TO_REMOTESVC" and I went to IIS -> Your WebSite -> Advanced Settings and found there was my username in "Physical Path Credentials". I removed it and the wed deploy started working.

Also make sure when you deploy from VS use "localhost" without port number and site name in the next field.

I put port and it also was failing with ERROR_DESTINATION_NOT_REACHABLE.

Ensure that traffic to port 8172 is allowed. Adding an inbound rule on my NSG solved it.

enter image description here

I was facing a similar issue in Visual Studio 2022.

Error Web deployment task failed. (Could not connect to the remote computer ("<>.scm.azurewebsites.net"). On the remote computer, make sure that Web Deploy is installed and that the required process ("Web Management Service") is started. Learn more at: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_DESTINATION_NOT_REACHABLE.) The requested resource does not exist, or the requested URL is incorrect. Error details: Could not connect to the remote computer ("<>.scm.azurewebsites.net"). On the remote computer, make sure that Web Deploy is installed and that the required process ("Web Management Service") is started. Learn more at: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_DESTINATION_NOT_REACHABLE. The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. Intranet.Hub.Admin

The real issue was that I started the publishing right after the web application is been created. So it would be a good idea to wait for a few minutes before you download the publishing profile from the Azure web application, and upload it to the Visual Studio.

If you are still facing the same issue change the value of Application settings WEBSITE_WEBDEPLOY_USE_SCM to false, download the publishing profile, upload it in the Visual Studio, and then publish.

You can also deploy the Web Deploy as a site extension in your Azure Web App. I wasn't able to do this, as I was using a Linux Azure Web application, the Site Extension option was greyed out. That feature is yet to be provided for Linux.

enter image description here

Also make sure that a website in IIS exists with the name that you have provided under 'Site Name' field.

In my case Web Deployment Tool is not installed. After installing it in Web Platform Installer worked for me.

I had the same issue while trying to publish a website to azure app service.
In my case, I have created a virtual path for a new website, for some reason that is not related to the subject I deleted that virtual path from the app service.
that I have created it again but forgot the press save in the Azure portal.
the consequence was that error,
of course, this was solved by creating this virtual path again without forgetting to save.

To make it more clear the last virtual path was not exist:
enter image description here

I've tried most of the proposed answers but without solving the problem. However here's my solution :

1-close FTP connections if there are any

2-use a faster connection, using a slow wifi causes this issue

If you have installed web deploy just check if its related services are running

enter image description here

if one of them is stoped you will get such error

Related