How to use single quote inside an echo which is using single quote

Viewed 100584

First of all, i have gone through the related questions.. haven't found any answer.. I m using this code to display a message

echo 'Here goes your message with an apostrophe S like thi's ';

How can i make this work, as any quote inside this echo will break the statement...

7 Answers

Have you tried the function addslashes()? It even uses your example.

I personally prefer the function htmlspecialchars() which does the same thing but has flags which let you specify its behavior.

like so:

echo htmlspecialchars("O'Rielly", ENT_QUOTES);

This shows the string properly on an HTML webpage.

Since the methods from the answers didn't work for my situation I ended up just calling a new echo everytime the type of quote changed through the code and swapped the type of quote to start the echo, it's 2019 now and I don't know about any other solution since I am really new to programming but this worked fine for me, example:

        else {
          echo '<a onclick="document.getElementById(';
          echo "'open_login').style.display='block'";
          echo '" class="branding w3-bar-item w3-button w3-mobile w3-light-blue w3-hover-white w3-right"href="#login"><span class="fa fa-user"></span>&nbsp;&nbsp;Login do Aluno</a>';
        }

The problem may be that you are passing the variable through HTML in single quotes ''. If it is the case, try using double quotes: "".

Related