Vim multiline editing like in sublimetext?

Viewed 180459

I started to use gvim, and I can't quite understand how the multiline edit works in gvim.

For example:

Original text:

asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;

ctrl+q, jjjjjj , $ everything is selected, then i press I to do a multiline insert.

My intention is to insert quotes like in the first line, and then to press Esc:

asd "asd asd" asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;
asd asd asd asd asd;

What happened? I expected a behavior similar to sublimetext's one:

enter image description here

If you don't know how that works, it just repeats the actions for every line. How can achieve that? And what is vim doing here?

8 Answers

My solution is to use these 2 mappings:

map <leader>n <Esc><Esc>0qq
map <leader>m q:'<,'>-1normal!@q<CR><Down>

How to use them:

  1. Select your lines. If I want to select the next 12 lines I just press V12j
  2. Press <leader>n
  3. Make your changes to the line
  4. Make sure you're in normal mode and then press <leader>m

To make another edit you don't need to make the selection again. Just press <leader>n, make your edit and press <leader>m to apply.


How this works:

  • <Esc><Esc>0qq Exit the visual selection, go to the beginning of the line and start recording a macro.

  • q Stop recording the macro.

  • :'<,'>-1normal!@q<CR> From the start of the visual selection to the line before the end, play the macro on each line.

  • <Down> Go back down to the last line.


You can also just map the same key but for different modes:

vmap <leader>m <Esc><Esc>0qq
nmap <leader>m q:'<,'>-1normal!@q<CR><Down>

Although this messes up your ability to make another edit. You'll have to re-select your lines.

Related