Javascript Performance: How come looping through an array and checking every value is faster than indexOf, search and match?

Viewed 3597

This came as a huge surprise for me, and I'd like to understand this result. I made a test in jsperf that is basically supposed to take a string (that is part of a URL that I'd like to check) and checks for the presence of 4 items (that are in fact, present in the string).

It checks in 5 ways:

  1. plain indexOf;
  2. Split the string, then indexOf;
  3. regex search;
  4. regex match;
  5. Split the string, loop through the array of items, and then check if any of them matches the things it's supposed to match

To my huge surprise, number 5 is the fastest in Chrome 21. This is what I can't explain.

In Firefox 14, the plain indexOf is the fastest, that one I can believe.

2 Answers
Related