Unix (Cygwin) whatis: returns all commands as "nothing appropriate"

Viewed 10970

For some odd reason, the "whatis" command in my Unix shell (cygwin) is not working. It constantly returns "ls: nothing appropriate" or "cd: nothing appropriate". I'm wondering if there is something incorrectly set-up. Does anyone have any light to shed? Thanks!

5 Answers

Run sudo mandb once

Not sure if this helps, but when I ran mandb, I got this (over several attempts).

mandb    
0 man subdirectories contained newer manual pages.
0 manual pages were added.
0 stray cats were added.
0 old database entries were purged.

However,

sudo mandb
75 man subdirectories contained newer manual pages.
7235 manual pages were added.
0 stray cats were added.
0 old database entries were purged.

worked for real.

I faced the same issue.
I fixed it by #mandb command.

My problem was fixed by running #mandb command

[root@localhost log]# whatis last
last (1)             - show a listing of last logged in users
[root@localhost log]#
Related