Apache Server Won't Start in MAMP

Viewed 41157

Apache server won't start when in MAMP. Here are the error logs:

[Wed Aug 01 21:07:34 2012] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Wed Aug 01 21:07:34 2012] [notice] Digest: done
[Wed Aug 01 21:07:34 2012] [notice] Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) PHP/5.3.2 DAV/2 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Wed Aug 01 21:08:00 2012] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Wed Aug 01 21:08:01 2012] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Wed Aug 01 21:08:01 2012] [notice] Digest: done
[Wed Aug 01 21:08:01 2012] [notice] Apache/2.0.63 (Unix) PHP/5.3.2 DAV/2 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Wed Aug 01 21:08:51 2012] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

I don't think I did anything our of the ordinary except create a new folder in htdocs. Any suggestions?

10 Answers

I encountered this same issue with the same log output above, but did not need to reinstall MAMP to solve the issue in my case. When I encountered this error it was related to one of the hosts I had set up. Click the Hosts tab and see if any of your hosts appear in red:

enter image description here

The host in red required SSL certificates. In the configuration I did not have valid references to the required certificates after I had altered the file structure of my application. After fixing this issue and applying changes the host was no longer highlighted in red, and I was able to start Apache through MAMP.

Additionally, you can ensure that the problem doesn't have to do with your Apache client itself by running this command in terminal:

sudo /Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/apachectl restart

OR

sudo /Applications/MAMP\ PRO/Library/bin/apachectl restart

If you are able to start Apache in terminal, you have ruled out that you have an error with MAMP's Apache client itself.

If your existing MAMP PRO suddenly won't start Apache anymore, then it might be an error in vhosts settings which is not visible.

There is often no indication in apache_error.log - it just comes up with the message.

Apache wasn't able to start. Please check log for more information.

In my case it was a wrong path in Customized virtual host settings such as

Include /path/to/project/rewrite.conf

Vhost config is saved in ~/Library/Application Support/appsolute/MAMP PRO/httpd.conf so you can check the settings there.

In case above answers didn't fix it, you can check that Document Root isn't set on some non-existing directory. Go to MAMP Settings > Web-Server > Document Root

I found a Solution:

JUST:

in /Applications/Mamp/Library/bin, find the file envvars and rename it to _envvars.

this issue comes to me today … after trying several solutions, i found this dialog message may appear if MAMP no longer finds a certificate used by a securized localhost. So be careful to keep them in a place you won't move or delete.

hope it helps

Related