Python Brute Force algorithm

Viewed 184908

I need to generate every possible combination from a given charset to a given range. Like,

charset=list(map(str,"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"))
range=10

And the out put should be,

[a,b,c,d..................,zzzzzzzzzy,zzzzzzzzzz]

I know I can do this using already in use libraries.But I need to know how they really works.If anyone can give me a commented code of this kind of algorithm in Python or any programming language readable,I would be very grateful.

10 Answers

If you really want a bruteforce algorithm, don't save any big list in the memory of your computer, unless you want a slow algorithm that crashes with a MemoryError.

You could try to use itertools.product like this :

from string import ascii_lowercase
from itertools import product

charset = ascii_lowercase  # abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
maxrange = 10


def solve_password(password, maxrange):
    for i in range(maxrange+1):
        for attempt in product(charset, repeat=i):
            if ''.join(attempt) == password:
                return ''.join(attempt)


solved = solve_password('solve', maxrange)  # This worked for me in 2.51 sec

itertools.product(*iterables) returns the cartesian products of the iterables you entered.

[i for i in product('bar', (42,))] returns e.g. [('b', 42), ('a', 42), ('r', 42)]

The repeat parameter allows you to make exactly what you asked :

[i for i in product('abc', repeat=2)]

Returns

[('a', 'a'),
 ('a', 'b'),
 ('a', 'c'),
 ('b', 'a'),
 ('b', 'b'),
 ('b', 'c'),
 ('c', 'a'),
 ('c', 'b'),
 ('c', 'c')]

Note:

You wanted a brute-force algorithm so I gave it to you. Now, it is a very long method when the password starts to get bigger because it grows exponentially (it took 62 sec to find the word 'solved').

Simple solution using the itertools and string modules

# modules to easily set characters and iterate over them
import itertools, string 

# character limit so you don't run out of ram
maxChar = int(input('Character limit for password: '))  

# file to save output to, so you can look over the output without using so much ram
output_file = open('insert filepath here', 'a+') 

# this is the part that actually iterates over the valid characters, and stops at the 
# character limit.
x = list(map(''.join, itertools.permutations(string.ascii_lowercase, maxChar))) 

# writes the output of the above line to a file 
output_file.write(str(x)) 

# saves the output to the file and closes it to preserve ram
output_file.close() 

I piped the output to a file to save ram, and used the input function so you can set the character limit to something like "hiiworld". Below is the same script but with a more fluid character set using letters, numbers, symbols, and spaces.

import itertools, string

maxChar = int(input('Character limit for password: '))
output_file = open('insert filepath here', 'a+')

x = list(map(''.join, itertools.permutations(string.printable, maxChar)))
x.write(str(x))
x.close()
Related