Rollback a Git merge

Viewed 645884
develop branch
--> dashboard (working branch)

I use git merge --no-ff develop to merge any upstream changes into dashboard

git log:

commit 88113a64a21bf8a51409ee2a1321442fd08db705
Merge: 981bc20 888a557
Author: XXXX <>
Date:   Mon Jul 30 08:16:46 2012 -0500

    Merge branch 'develop' into dashboard

commit 888a5572428a372f15a52106b8d74ff910493f01
Author: root <root@magneto.giveforward.com>
Date:   Sun Jul 29 10:49:21 2012 -0500

    fixed end date edit display to have leading 0

commit 167ad941726c876349bfa445873bdcd475eb8cd8
Author: XXXX <>
Date:   Sun Jul 29 09:13:24 2012 -0500

The merge had about 50+ commits in it, and I am wondering how to just revert the merge so dashboard goes back to the state pre-merge

The second part of this is, if I dont do merge with --no-ff, I don't get the commit 'Merge branch 'develop' into dashboard' .. How would I roll that merge back?

5 Answers

If you merged the branch, then reverted the merge using a pull request and merged that pull request to revert.

The easiest way I felt was to:

  1. Take out a new branch from develop/master (where you merged)
  2. Revert the "revert" using git revert -m 1 xxxxxx (if the revert was merged using a branch) or using git revert xxxxxx if it was a simple revert
  3. The new branch should now have the changes you want to merge again.
  4. Make changes or merge this branch to develop/master
Related