I want to open a link in a new window using reStucturedText. Is this possible?
This opens link in the same window:
You can `check your location here. <http://geoiptool.com>`_
I want to open a link in a new window using reStucturedText. Is this possible?
This opens link in the same window:
You can `check your location here. <http://geoiptool.com>`_
If you don't want to modify the theme, you can do what Ivonet did but with a custom.js file in the _static/js folder, then adding it to the conf.py like this:
html_js_files = [
'js/custom.js'
]
Leave out the html tags in _static/js/custom.js if you do this:
$(document).ready(function () {
$('a[href^="http://"], a[href^="https://"]').not('a[class*=internal]').attr('target', '_blank');
});
This will also work if you'd like a shorter version.
$(document).ready(function () {
$('a.external').attr('target', '_blank');
});
I agree completely with the accepted answer, especially with the part where reStructuredText is not responsible for how a link behaves.
I still want it though so it should be solved in the theme. As I want all my external links to open in a new tab it becomes very cumbersome to do it as described above.
In my case I use a third party theme (sphinx_rtd_theme) and I put the following script near the end of the layout.html:
<script type="text/javascript">
<!-- Adds target=_blank to external links -->
$(document).ready(function () {
$('a[href^="http://"], a[href^="https://"]').not('a[class*=internal]').attr('target', '_blank');
});
</script>
It seems to do the job just fine. Hope it helps.