Where does MAMP keep its php.ini?

Viewed 169950

I have recently got a mac an am not used to developing on a mac at all.

I have MAMP Pro 1.9.6.1. I did a locate on php.ini and got this:

$ locate php.ini
/Applications/MAMP/conf/php5.2/php.ini
/Applications/MAMP/conf/php5.3/php.ini
/Library/Application Support/appsolute/MAMP PRO/conf/php.ini
/private/etc/php.ini.default

I changed the name of all of them. Restarted MAMP. It loaded without a hitch (I know odd right?). I am using PHP version 5.2.

All of these files are now different names (done one by one for process of elimination). So I figure restart the mac. Same, MAMP loaded no problems, even though all of the php.ini files had been move. On Lamp this that wouldn't even load. But either there is another php.ini file I'm missing (quite possible I don't know how to updatedb), MAMP is really intelligent and just pulls in all of them (less likely) or it doesn't use one.

15 Answers

I don't know if you ever found an answer to this but I DIDN'T need MAMP PRO to do this. Simply goto the correct path by following what others have said. It's something like...

MAMP-> bin-> php-> php(your php version)-> conf-> php.ini

The key here is where you're editing the file. I was making the mistake of editing the commented part of the ini file. You actually have to scroll down to LINE #472 where it says "display_errors = Off and change it to On. Hope this helps any

After running the MAMP server, you have php info link in toolbar Once click, You will get all information about php enter image description here

After going through all the solutions here, the easiest way to find the loaded php.ini file is to go into phpinfo on the loaded MAMP webpage, which will show you the loaded php.ini file.

This will also confirm if the parameters you change, like max_file_size, have updated correctly.

On my mac, running MAMP I have a few locations that would be the likely php.ini, so I edited the memory_limit to different values in the 2 suspected files, to test which one effected the actual MAMP PHP INFO page details. By doing that I was able to determine that this was the correct php.ini: /Applications/MAMP/bin/php/php7.2.10/conf/php.ini

I was struggling with this too. My changes weren't being reflected in phpInfo. It wasn't until I stopped my servers and then restarted them again that my changes actually took effect.

Related