How can I optionally link against static or dynamic boost library using CMake?

Viewed 10498

I have a CMake project that I sometimes want to compile against the static boost libraries, but I want to also make it easy to just use the dynamic libraries from the cmake GUI. In my top level CMakeLists.txt I have this:

option(USE_STATIC_BOOST "Build with static BOOST libraries instead of dynamic" NO)

Then in a different file, I have the following logic set up:

if(USE_STATIC_BOOST)
   unset(Boost_LIBRARIES)
   message(WARNING "Linking against boost static libraries")
   set(Boost_USE_STATIC_LIBS ON)
   set(Boost_USE_MULTITHREADED ON)
   find_package(Boost REQUIRED COMPONENTS thread program_options system)
else(USE_STATIC_BOOST)
   unset(Boost_LIBRARIES)
   message(WARNING "Linking against boost dynamic libraries")
   set(Boost_USE_STATIC_LIBS OFF)
   set(Boost_USE_MULTITHREADED ON)
   find_package(Boost REQUIRED COMPONENTS thread program_options system)
endif(USE_STATIC_BOOST)

This seems to work fine if I start from scratch and use:

cmake ../.. -DUSE_STATIC_BOOST=YES

However, when I use

ccmake ../..

I cannot get it to use the static libraries no matter what I do. CMake appears to load the dynamic option into cache on startup and changing USE_STATIC_BOOST doesn't switch it. I even tried to unset(Boost_LIBRARIES) to explicitly clear it out. Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?

Using x86_64 Linux and g++ to compile. Thanks in advance!

1 Answers
Related