Error: Could not load log4net assembly

Viewed 41979

I am looking to solve this error:

Could not load file or assembly 'log4net, Version=1.2.10.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified." This error is located in the web.config file.

When I copy log4net.dll to the bin directory of my webapp, I get a

Could not load file or assembly 'log4net, Version=1.2.10.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference.

This error also occurs in the web.config file.

It's easy enough to change the version and the public key token to match the file so that the assembly loads correctly. When I do that, my website runs perfectly, except for when a reportViewer object is initialized. Then it throws the original error at the reportViewer tag, not the web.config.

My hypothesis is that if I install the requested version of log4net.dll, my problems will be solved. But I have no clue which file that it, or where to find it. I've checked the obvious by downloading log4net 1.2.10 and trying out every dll in the download.

I should mention that the website runs without issues on my development machine, but not when published to my server.

I'm running an asp.net website, .NET 4.0, IIS 7, on a Server 2008 R2 OS. I've installed Crystal Reports 13.0.1 for 64bit (my machine is 64bit).

How can I resolve this issue?

EDIT: In response to @Kevian's answer, I have made the change to my web.config file. I still get the error where the manifest definition doesn't match the assembly reference. The code that throws this error is:

Line 33:     <CR:CrystalReportViewer ID="CrystalReportViewer1" runat="server"   AutoDataBind="true"
Line 34:         BestFitPage="True" ToolPanelView="None" />
7 Answers

If your machine is 64bit and you install Crystal Report 32bit version, then this error will haunt you like anything. In this case, all the required assemblies are properly registered in GAC but still, it says "unable to load log4net assembly..." The reason for this error is that you are trying to execute a 32bit application on a 64bit machine.

If you are implementing reporting on the server side the IIS will not allow executing this application. To resolve this you have to enable 32bit application in IIS.

Steps for this are:

  1. Go to the app pool on which you are running your application
  2. Right click and go to Advanced Settings
  3. Here find "Enable 32-Bit Applications" and set it to true
  4. Reset IIS (iisreset)

For your issue i recommend you to delete/remove this dll in refereneces and reinstall and Here is how to properly install Log4Net on VS 2013:

1) Making sure you turn on your nuget.org Package Sources for NuGet Packages Manager utility by: Rightclick Project (not solution) then select "Manague NUGet Packages ..." at bottom left select "Settings" then select "Package Manager" then select "Package Sources" under Available package sources select "nuget.org" also check both "Machine-wid package sources" the click "OK"

2) It will take you to Manage NUGet Packages then select "Online" on the left pane then search for "log4net" it is ported from apache log4j then install it. Done you will find it installed under References in your project

I also attached screenshots.

enjoy!

enter image description here

enter image description here

Related