Create mutable List from array?

Viewed 82264

I have an array I'd like to turn into a List, in order to modify the contents of the array.

Stack Overflow has plenty of questions/answers that address Arrays.asList() and how it only provides a List view of the underlying array, and how attempting to manipulate the resulting List will generally throw an UnsupportedOperationException as methods used to manipulate the list (e.g. add(), remove(), etc.) are not implemented by the List implementation provided by Arrays.asList().

But I can't find an example of how to turn an array into a mutable List. I suppose I can loop through the array and put() each value into a new List, but I'm wondering if there's an interface that exists to do this for me.

5 Answers

If you're using Eclipse Collections (formerly GS Collections), you can use FastList.newListWith(...) or FastList.wrapCopy(...).

Both methods take varargs, so you can create the array inline or pass in an existing array.

MutableList<Integer> list1 = FastList.newListWith(1, 2, 3, 4);

Integer[] array2 = {1, 2, 3, 4};
MutableList<Integer> list2 = FastList.newListWith(array2);

The difference between the two methods is whether or not the array gets copied. newListWith() doesn't copy the array and thus takes constant time. You should avoid using it if you know the array could be mutated elsewhere.

Integer[] array2 = {1, 2, 3, 4};
MutableList<Integer> list2 = FastList.newListWith(array2);
array2[1] = 5;
Assert.assertEquals(FastList.newListWith(1, 5, 3, 4), list2);

Integer[] array3 = {1, 2, 3, 4};
MutableList<Integer> list3 = FastList.wrapCopy(array3);
array3[1] = 5;
Assert.assertEquals(FastList.newListWith(1, 2, 3, 4), list3);

Note: I am a committer for Eclipse Collections.

Related