Cause of Range Check Error (Delphi)

Viewed 33468

Here's a condensed version of some code that causes both a Range check error and an overflow error, should I turn on those compiler check directives. I understand why this would cause an overflow, on the multiplication of C1, it seems likely it might exceed the data-type's max valude. But why would this also trigger a Range-check error? Delphi's documentation and other posts on stack overflow make it sound like range-check errors are usually for array accesses that are out of bounds. But I'm not accessing an array on the line it's saying is causing the range-check error. Perhaps its on the assignment to param1? But why would that be a range-check and not an overflow error, if so?

const
  C1 = 44001;
  C2 = 17999;

function fxnName(..other params...; param1: Word): String;
var
  someByte: byte;
begin
  // some code
  // by now we're in a loop. the following line is where it breaks to in the debugger: 
  param1 := (someByte + param1) * C1 + C2;
  // more code
end;

If it's relevant, when it breaks on that line in the debugger, all the values look as expected, except param1, which shows "Undeclared identifier: 'param1'" when I ask Delphi to evaluate it.

1 Answers
Related