how to install CA certificate programmatically on Android without user interaction

Viewed 28050

I'm trying to install certificates without prompting the user. I know this is not good practice, but that's what PM wants.

Using KeyChain.createInstallIntent(), I can get Android to launch the certificate installation dialog by calling startActivity. However, when I pass the intent to sendBroadcast, nothing happens. Maybe the platform doesn't support this for security reasons?

String CERT_FILE = Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory() + "/test/IAT.crt";
Intent intent = KeyChain.createInstallIntent();
try {
    FileInputStream certIs = new FileInputStream(CERT_FILE);
    byte [] cert = new byte[(int)certFile.length()];
    certIs.read(cert);
    X509Certificate x509 = X509Certificate.getInstance(cert);
    intent.putExtra(KeyChain.EXTRA_CERTIFICATE, x509.getEncoded()); 
    intent.putExtra(KeyChain.EXTRA_NAME, "IAT Cert");
    EapActivity.this.startActivityForResult(intent, 0);  // this works but shows UI
    EapActivity.this.sendBroadcast(intent);  // this doesn't install cert
} catch (IOException e) {
7 Answers

This thread is a bit dated already, nevertheless since I stumbled upon the same issue and couldn't find any "out of the box" solution for Android O or later, I thought I'd share what I came up with and which worked well for me when trying to install Certificates (CA and others) to the Android Trusted credentials "User" store:

// Supply context, e.g. from "Context context = getApplicationContext();"
// String fileName points to the file holding the certificate to be installed. pem/der/pfx tested.
RandomAccessFile file = new RandomAccessFile(fileName, "r");
byte[] certificateBytes = new byte[(int)file.length()];
file.read(certificateBytes);

Class<?> keyChainConnectionClass = Objects.requireNonNull(context.getClassLoader()).loadClass("android.security.KeyChain$KeyChainConnection");
Class<?> iKeyChainServiceClass  = Objects.requireNonNull(context.getClassLoader()).loadClass("android.security.IKeyChainService");

Method keyChainBindMethod = KeyChain.class.getMethod("bind", Context.class);
Method keyChainConnectionGetServiceMethod = keyChainConnectionClass.getMethod("getService");
Object keyChainConnectionObject = keyChainBindMethod.invoke(null, context);
Object iKeyChainServiceObject = keyChainConnectionGetServiceMethod.invoke(keyChainConnectionObject);

Method installCaCertificate = iKeyChainServiceClass.getDeclaredMethod("installCaCertificate", byte[].class);
installCaCertificate.invoke(iKeyChainServiceObject, certificateBytes);

Note that if you want to silently install a certificate this way, your app needs to be a system app, i.e. it needs to have

android:sharedUserId="android.uid.system"

declared in it's manifest.

Cheers!

Based on the @ospider's answer, i managed to succesfully install the cert like this way:

adb shell mkdir -p /data/misc/user/0/cacerts-added
adb push certificate.cer /data/misc/user/0/cacerts-added/807e3b02.0

# Maybe these two lines are not strictly necessary...
adb shell chmod 644 /data/misc/user/0/cacerts-added/807e3b02.0
adb shell chown system:system /data/misc/user/0/cacerts-added/807e3b02.0

I got the name of the copied file (807e3b02.0) by installing manually the cert i wanted to automate and seeing how Android saved it (whith adb shell ls -l /data/misc/user/0/cacerts-added/)


Hope this help.

Regards.

Related