What does it mean to normalize a value?

Viewed 41783

I'm currently studying lighting in OpenGL, which utilizes a function in GLSL called normalize. According to OpenGL docs, it says that it "calculates the normalized product of two vectors". However, it still doesn't explain what "normalized" mean. I have tried look for what a normalized product is on Google, however I can't seem to find anything about it. Can anyone explain what normalizing means and provide a few example of a normalized value?

3 Answers

It's something complicated to explain if you don't know too much about vectors or even vectorial algebra. (You can check this article about general concepts as vector, normal vector or even normalization procedure ) Check it

But the procedure or concept of "normalize" refers to the process of making something standard or “normal.”

In the case of vectors, let’s assume for the moment that a standard vector has a length of 1. To normalize a vector, therefore, is to take a vector of any length and, keeping it pointing in the same direction, change its length to 1, turning it into what is called a unit vector.

Related