I was starting on JAVA web development today and encountered some problems, I installed my tomcat7 on my ubuntu machine. Now when I browse to //localhost:8080, I get the default welcome page saying:
This is the default Tomcat home page. It can be found on the local filesystem at: /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/ROOT/index.html
Tomcat7 veterans might be pleased to learn that this system instance of Tomcat is installed with CATALINA_HOME in /usr/share/tomcat7 and CATALINA_BASE in /var/lib/tomcat7, following the rules from /usr/share/doc/tomcat7-common/RUNNING.txt.gz.
But strangely when I try echo $CATALINA_HOME nothing shows up.
Also I can not copy/create anything in the default /var/lib/tomcat7/ROOT though it's just a matter of providing few permissions but I was wondering whether it is the right way to do it?,
What I would like to do is create a separate directory in my home where I can put my web application and tomcat can read hem from there. Is there a way to do it? In apache I can do it by changing the document-root and directory but I don't know how to do it for tomcat