CSS - Transparency Gradient on an Image

Viewed 27646

I would like my background image to go from 100% opacity to 0% opacity. I could choose to use another image asset where I use an image editor to make the image fade opacity, however I want to use as little assets as possible. Can this be done with CSS? I know I could make several divs in which I change the opacity on each one, however this would require a lot of divs to make it look good.

This is what my code currently looks like with the solution I don't want to use:

<div class="contentFadeAway" id="cfa1"></div>
<div class="contentFadeAway" id="cfa2"></div>
<div class="contentFadeAway" id="cfa3"></div>
<div class="contentFadeAway" id="cfa4"></div>
<div class="contentFadeAway" id="cfa5"></div>
<div class="contentFadeAway" id="cfa6"></div>
<div class="contentFadeAway" id="cfa7"></div>
<div class="contentFadeAway" id="cfa8"></div>
<div class="contentFadeAway" id="cfa9"></div>
<div class="contentFadeAway" id="cfa10"></div>

And the CSS:

.contentFadeAway {
    display: block;
    position: fixed;
    top: 160px;

    padding: 0px;
    width: 100%;

    height: 5px;
    background: url('/assets/shapeimage_3_int.png') fixed;
    background-size:cover;
    z-index: +1;
}

#cfa1 { top: 160px; opacity: 1; }
#cfa2 { top: 165px; opacity: .9; }
#cfa3 { top: 170px; opacity: .8; }
#cfa4 { top: 175px; opacity: .7; }
#cfa5 { top: 180px; opacity: .6; }
#cfa6 { top: 185px; opacity: .5; }
#cfa7 { top: 190px; opacity: .4; }
#cfa8 { top: 195px; opacity: .3; }
#cfa9 { top: 200px; opacity: .2; }
#cfa10 { top: 205px; opacity: .1; }

For those that don't understand what that code is doing it is here: http://jsfiddle.net/FVNY7/2/ I have a background image, and I want the content to fade away when it scrolls up, so I would have the same image with an opacity from 1 to 0 to give that effect. If the background was a solid color I could just use a rgba gradient, but its an image.

3 Answers
Related