My Hostgator IP address gives me a 404 error

Viewed 18929

The web server I usually use was apparently blown out by a storm, and will be down for an indefinite period of time.

I decided to move everything over to Hostgator, but it isn't working.

I redirected my domain name on Namecheap to the new Hostgator IP address, and I uploaded all my files to the public_html folder. My files are all php, which my htaccess file permits.

I only set everything up about 40 minutes ago, so it's possible that the issue is just time. However I've looked around and that hasn't come up as an issue for anyone else.

I can't think of anything else I may have done wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 Answers

For Hostgator :

  • Shared http://gator4132.temp.domains/~user/
  • Reseller http://corvette.temp.domains/~user/

Be sure to replace the bold items above with the actual values for your server and cPanel username.

For more details, refer this.

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to update with the correct "fix." As the OP stated it is a time issue.

Most likely you are forcing HTTPS on your site, but the free Lets Encrypt SSL certificate is not yet installed on your domain. Hostgator does this automatically within 48 hours of final nameserver propagation. In the meantime (even if propagation takes 40 minutes like it did for me), the site is live but attempting to use the HTTPS protocol (usually told to do so in your .htaccess file.).

The simplest fix it to contact Hostgator customer support (I just use the live chat) and ask them to please install the SSL certificate. It takes about 5 minutes and then your site is working properly (assuming your .htaccess is set up correctly.)

Once the service rep tells you it is installed you should flush your DNS records (or check the site in an incognito tab) to verify.

After another 3 to 5 minutes, your site should appear as normal on a regular (non-incognito) tab.

Related