How to set up remote debugging on a machine without Visual Studio

Viewed 77205

Is there a way to set up Remote Debugging (Msvscom.exe) on a machine that does not have Visual Studio installed?

I would like to attach to the service running on the VM so I can debug an issue in the code. I've done this before but both machines have had VS installed.

The Dev box is running Visual Studio 2010/Windows 7. The VM is running Windows 7 without Visual Studio.

6 Answers

There's also another way which I prefer (if you have fast internet connection).

You don't have to download or install anything on remote desktop connection.

  1. You can share your disk C: while connecting via Remote Desktop Connection.

    Remote Dekstop - Share Local Resources

  2. On the remote desktop go to location (depending on your local location)

    \\tsclient\C\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64
    
  3. (optional) Create shortcut to folder or msvsmon.exe on desktop

  4. Run it remotely from your local disk via shared disk. (start can take few seconds depending on your connection quality)

Option2: Copy Remote Debugger\x64 or x86 folder to the remote location and use it.

I was able to get it working with asp.net core 2.1, the only difference from the answers above was that the process you attach to is dotnet.exe.

Related