The specified type member is not supported in LINQ to Entities. Only initializers, entity members, and entity navigation properties are supported

Viewed 124556
var result =
    (from bd in context.tblBasicDetails
     from pd in context.tblPersonalDetails.Where(x => x.UserId == bd.UserId).DefaultIfEmpty()
     from opd in context.tblOtherPersonalDetails.Where(x => x.UserId == bd.UserId).DefaultIfEmpty()
     select new clsProfileDate()
     {
         DOB = pd.DOB
     });

foreach (clsProfileDate prod in result)
{
    prod.dtDOB = !string.IsNullOrEmpty(prod.DOB) ? Convert.ToDateTime(prod.DOB) : DateTime.Today;
    int now = int.Parse(DateTime.Today.ToString("yyyyMMdd"));
    int dob = int.Parse(prod.dtDOB.ToString("yyyyMMdd"));
    string dif = (now - dob).ToString();
    string age = "0";
    if (dif.Length > 4)
    age = dif.Substring(0, dif.Length - 4);
    prod.Age = Convert.ToInt32(age);
}

GetFinalResult(result);

protected void GetFinalResult(IQueryable<clsProfileDate> result)
{
    int from;
    bool bfrom = Int32.TryParse(ddlAgeFrom.SelectedValue, out from);
    int to;
    bool bto = Int32.TryParse(ddlAgeTo.SelectedValue, out to);

    result = result.AsQueryable().Where(p => p.Age >= from);
}

Here I am getting an exception:

The specified type member "Age" is not supported in LINQ to Entities. Only initializers, entity members, and entity navigation properties are supported.

Where Age is not in database it is property I created in clsProfileDate class to calculate Age from DOB. Any solution to this?

7 Answers

I forgot to select the column (or set/map the property to a column value):

IQueryable<SampleTable> queryable = from t in dbcontext.SampleTable
                                    where ...
                                    select new DataModel { Name = t.Name };

Calling queryable.OrderBy("Id") will throw exception, even though DataModel has property Id defined.

The correct query is:

IQueryable<SampleTable> queryable = from t in dbcontext.SampleTable
                                    where ...
                                    select new DataModel { Name = t.Name, Id = t.Id };

In my case, I was getting this error message only in Production but not when run locally, even though my application's binaries were identical.

In my application, I'm using a custom DbModelStore so that the runtime-generated EDMX is saved to disk and loaded from disk on startup (instead of regenerating it from scratch) to reduce application startup time - and due to a bug in my code I wasn't invalidating the EDMX file on-disk - so Production was using an older version of the EDMX file from disk that referenced an older version of my application's types from before I renamed the type-name in the exception error message.

Deleting the cache file and restarting the application fixed it.

In this case, one of the easiest and best approach is to first cast it to list and then use where or select.

result = result.ToList().where(p => date >= p.DOB);

Checking Count() before the WHERE clause solved my problem. It is cheaper than ToList()

if (authUserList != null && _list.Count() > 0)
    _list = _list.Where(l => authUserList.Contains(l.CreateUserId));
Related