git status gives me an error: bad index file sha1 signature

Viewed 8782

In my git repository I did an utf-8 conversion of many files, but only below the .git directory, so the .git directory was not touched. Before this conversion I created a new testing branch, but now I cannot use my repo anymore, I cannot switch back to the master. When I do:

git status 

or any other git command I get:

error: bad index file sha1 signature 
fatal: index file corrupt 
fatal: 'git status --porcelain' failed in submodule core/kimai-mobile

I searched about it and found the command:

rm -f .git/index 

and after this:

git reset

but this didn't help. I don't understand what is wrong. Then I deleted the "submodule" core/kimai-mobile and suddenly I could use it again!

I had this other git repository in this directory in which I destroyed the other index file with my conversion. My problem was, that I thought that the "main" repositorys index file was meant.

Now it is working again :)


My question is, why did git look into this submodule although I had the whole folder of this submodule in my ignorelist?

This is the ignore file of my "main" git:

.gitignore

...
# kimai mobile
kimai-mobile
...
1 Answers
Related