GIT pushing a new project for the first time

Viewed 18200

I have a project on my local machine I've been working on alone, that I'd like to push to a remote server (running ubuntu & gitosis)

On the remote server I did

git init
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/stefan/.git/

Locally git status says

git status
# On branch master
# Untracked files:
#   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
#
#   .DS_Store
#   .travis.yml
#   license.txt
#   nbproject/
#   bla/.DS_Store
#   bla/cache/
nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git add" to track)

I have also done

git remote add origin dev@123.456.xx.xxx:psdemo.git

Now: when I try to push, the following happens

git push origin master
fatal: 'psdemo.git' does not appear to be a git repository
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

It makes sense in a way since I just have an empty git repo.

How can I push my files to this remote server? I guess what I need is cloning from my local machine to the remote machine, somehow?

5 Answers
Related