VS2010 web deploy the connection string argument cannot be null or empty

Viewed 15275

Having problems deploying a website to an windows 2008 r2 server running IIS7. I have previously deployed another site to this server. The web deploy is connecting and copying my files to server but I see the following error(s).

1 The 'Connection String' argument cannot be null or empty
2   Web deployment task failed.((20/07/2012 14:19:16) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer.)

(20/07/2012 14:19:16) An error occurred when the request was processed on the remote computer. Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Me\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\MySite\MySiteClient\obj\Release\AutoScripts\EFDbContext-Deployment_SchemaOnly.sql'.     0   0   MySiteClient

I have verified that the path exists on my local machine.

I have tried publish with out web.config transforms and with using the xdt:transform functions to set the remote server strings.

I have also explicitly set the connection strings for both destination and source database in the Package/Publish SQL tab and am at a loss as to what the problem is.

Any ideas?

6 Answers

In addition to Leniel's answer, in case you are not using SqlClient or Entity Framework Code First and thus do not see the checkbox(es), temporarily set the providerName in your web.config's connection string to System.Data.SqlClient and then go back to your publish settings to uncheck the checkbox(es).

Related