Linking enum value with localized string resource

Viewed 12804

Related: Get enum from enum attribute

I want the most maintainable way of binding an enumeration and it's associated localized string values to something.

If I stick the enum and the class in the same file I feel somewhat safe but I have to assume there is a better way. I've also considered having the enum name be the same as the resource string name, but I'm afraid I can't always be here to enforce that.

using CR = AcmeCorp.Properties.Resources;

public enum SourceFilterOption
{
    LastNumberOccurences,
    LastNumberWeeks,
    DateRange
    // if you add to this you must update FilterOptions.GetString
}

public class FilterOptions
{
    public Dictionary<SourceFilterOption, String> GetEnumWithResourceString()
    {
        var dict = new Dictionary<SourceFilterOption, String>();
        foreach (SourceFilterOption filter in Enum.GetValues(typeof(SourceFilterOption)))
        {
            dict.Add(filter, GetString(filter));
        }
        return dict;
    }

    public String GetString(SourceFilterOption option)
    {
        switch (option)
        {
            case SourceFilterOption.LastNumberOccurences:
                return CR.LAST_NUMBER_OF_OCCURANCES;
            case SourceFilterOption.LastNumberWeeks:
                return CR.LAST_NUMBER_OF_WEEKS;
            case SourceFilterOption.DateRange:
            default:
                return CR.DATE_RANGE;
        }
    }
}
5 Answers

There is the simplest way to getting the enum description value according to culture from resources files

My Enum

  public enum DiagnosisType
    {
        [Description("Nothing")]
        NOTHING = 0,
        [Description("Advice")]
        ADVICE = 1,
        [Description("Prescription")]
        PRESCRIPTION = 2,
        [Description("Referral")]
        REFERRAL = 3

}

i have made resource file and key Same as Enum Description Value

Resoucefile and Enum Key and Value Image, Click to view resouce file image

   public static string GetEnumDisplayNameValue(Enum enumvalue)
    {
        var name = enumvalue.ToString();
        var culture = Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture;
        var converted = YourProjectNamespace.Resources.Resource.ResourceManager.GetString(name, culture);
        return converted;
    }

Call this method on view

  <label class="custom-control-label" for="othercare">YourNameSpace.Yourextenstionclassname.GetEnumDisplayNameValue(EnumHelperClass.DiagnosisType.NOTHING )</label>

It will return the string accordig to your culture

I've to use it in WPF here is how I achieve it

First of all you need to define an attribute

public class LocalizedDescriptionAttribute : DescriptionAttribute
{
    private readonly string _resourceKey;
    private readonly ResourceManager _resource;
    public LocalizedDescriptionAttribute(string resourceKey, Type resourceType)
    {
        _resource = new ResourceManager(resourceType);
        _resourceKey = resourceKey;
    }

    public override string Description
    {
        get
        {
            string displayName = _resource.GetString(_resourceKey);

            return string.IsNullOrEmpty(displayName)
                ? string.Format("[[{0}]]", _resourceKey)
                : displayName;
        }
    }
}

You can use that attribute like this

public enum OrderType
{
    [LocalizedDescription("DineIn", typeof(Properties.Resources))]
    DineIn = 1,
    [LocalizedDescription("Takeaway", typeof(Properties.Resources))]
    Takeaway = 2
}

Then Define a converter like

public class EnumToDescriptionConverter : IValueConverter
{
    public object Convert(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, CultureInfo language)
    {
        var enumValue = value as Enum;

        return enumValue == null ? DependencyProperty.UnsetValue : enumValue.GetDescriptionFromEnumValue();
    }

    public object ConvertBack(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, CultureInfo language)
    {
        return value;
    }
}

Then in your XAML

<cr:EnumToDescriptionConverter x:Key="EnumToDescriptionConverter" />

<TextBlock Text="{Binding Converter={StaticResource EnumToDescriptionConverter}}"/>
Related