How do I fix a ValueError: read of closed file exception?

Viewed 19759

This simple Python 3 script:

import urllib.request

host = "scholar.google.com"
link = "/scholar.bib?q=info:K7uZdMSvdQ0J:scholar.google.com/&output=citation&hl=en&as_sdt=1,14&ct=citation&cd=0"
url = "http://" + host + link
filename = "cite0.bib"
print(url)
urllib.request.urlretrieve(url, filename)

raises this exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\ricardo\Desktop\Google-Scholar\BibTex\test2.py", line 8, in <module>
    urllib.request.urlretrieve(url, filename)
  File "C:\Python32\lib\urllib\request.py", line 150, in urlretrieve
    return _urlopener.retrieve(url, filename, reporthook, data)
  File "C:\Python32\lib\urllib\request.py", line 1597, in retrieve
    block = fp.read(bs)
ValueError: read of closed file

I thought this might be a temporary problem, so I added some simple exception handling like so:

import random
import time
import urllib.request

host = "scholar.google.com"
link = "/scholar.bib?q=info:K7uZdMSvdQ0J:scholar.google.com/&output=citation&hl=en&as_sdt=1,14&ct=citation&cd=0"
url = "http://" + host + link
filename = "cite0.bib"
print(url)
while True:
    try:
        print("Downloading...")
        time.sleep(random.randint(0, 5))
        urllib.request.urlretrieve(url, filename)
        break
    except ValueError:
        pass

but this just prints Downloading... ad infinitum.

2 Answers

If you run your app over managed cloud infrastructure, or managed security service, check for limitations that may come from them. Happened to me. Cloud providers sometimes impose a white list on accessible sites.

Related