django tastypie : Getting extra-values of a m2m relationships using intermediate model

Viewed 3077

I'm trying to use Tastypie with ManyToMany relationships using intermediate models (through keyword) (https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/db/models/#extra-fields-on-many-to-many-relationships)

I'm working with these models:

class Point(models.Model):
    ...
    value = models.FloatField(_('Value'), null=True)
    rooms = models.ManyToManyField('rooms.Room', through='points.PointPosition')

class Room(models.Model):
    title = models.CharField(max_length=64)

class PointPosition(models.Model):
    point = models.ForeignKey('points.Point', verbose_name=_('Point'))
    room = models.ForeignKey('rooms.Room', verbose_name=_('Room'))
    x = models.IntegerField(_('Y'))
    y = models.IntegerField(_('X'))

I've been able to fetch the many-to-many relationship, but not the extra fields. Here's my tastypie code:

class PointResource(ModelResource):
    class Meta:
        queryset = Point.objects.select_related(
            depth=10
            ).prefetch_related('rooms').all()
        resource_name = 'point'
        allowed_methods = ['get']

    ...
    value = fields.FloatField()
    rooms = fields.ToManyField('rooms.api.RoomResource', 'rooms', full=True)

class RoomResource(ModelResource):
    class Meta:
        queryset = Room.objects.all()
        resource_name = 'room'
        allowed_methods = ['get']

I've been trying to use a method to hydrate the room variable in my PointResource like this:

def dehydrate_rooms(self, bundle):                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
    rooms = []                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    for room in bundle.obj.rooms.all():                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
        position = PointPosition.objects.get(                                                                                                                                                                                                               
            room_id = room.pk,                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
            point_id = bundle.obj.pk)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
        rooms.append({'id': room.pk,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
             'title': room.title,                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
             'x': position.x,                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
             'y': position.y})                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    return rooms 

But the problem is that it creates as many query as I have points: it's a real performance killer when you have +8000 Points.

I haven't been able to find any useful resources to gain performance. I was thinking of doing a custom query using the .extra() method available for QuerySet, but the JOIN keyword isn't available (the patch has been refused a couple months ago). And I'm not sure SELECT subqueries would do the trick.

1 Answers
Related