Match jetty url-pattern to only root directory

Viewed 3453

I would like to only password protect the root directory on my context path for a Jetty WebApp. My context path is /MyApp, so I would like to require a password for accessing:

http://localhost:8080/MyApp

But NOT for:

http://localhost:8080/MyApp/cometd

My current set up is below (pay attention to the url-pattern):

<security-constraint>   
    <web-resource-collection>
        <web-resource-name>Private Page</web-resource-name>
            <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
        <role-name>moderator</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
</security-constraint>

<login-config>
    <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    <realm-name>Test Realm</realm-name>
</login-config>

I would expect this to work just by nature of how / and /* work in general. I've also seen this resource which I believe is suggesting that this should pretty much work: http://www.coderanch.com/t/364782/Servlets/java/there-key-difference-between-url

However, for my case, the url patterns:

<url-pattern>/</url-pattern>

and

<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>

seem to be acting the exact same: both

http://localhost:8080/MyApp 

and

http://localhost:8080/MyApp/cometd

are BOTH password protected.

Of course, if I change to /nothingishere, just as a sanity test, nothing is password protected, except for /MyApp/nothingishere

Does anyone know how to only protect the root directory for web servlets?

1 Answers
Related