How to use PrintWriter and File classes in Java?

Viewed 412293

I am trying to understand PrintWriter for a small program I'm making, and I cant seem to get java to make the file and then write on it. When I execute the program below it gives me a Filenotfoundexeption error on line 9. It also fails to make the file in the directory that I specified. I am new to this so please try and keep the answers simple. I am using Eclipse.

import java.io.PrintWriter;
import java.io.File;

public class Testing {

  public static void main(String[] args) {

    File file = new File ("C:/Users/Me/Desktop/directory/file.txt");
    PrintWriter printWriter = new PrintWriter ("file.txt");
    printWriter.println ("hello");
    printWriter.close ();       
  }
}
11 Answers

You should have a clear idea of exceptions in java. In java there are checked exceptions and unchecked exceptions.

Checked exceptions are checked (not thrown,just checked) by the compiler at Compile time for the smooth execution of the program at run time.

NOTE: And in our program if their is a chance that a checked exception will rise, then we should handle that checked exception either by try catch or by throws key word.Otherwise we will get a compile time Error:

CE:Unexpected Exception java.io.FileNotFoundException;must be caught or declared to be thrown.

How to resolve: 1.Put your code in try catch block:

2.use throws keyword as shown by other guys above.

Advice:Read more about Exceptions.(I personally love this topic)

import java.io.*;

public class test{
    public static void main(Strings []args){

       PrintWriter pw = new PrintWriter(new file("C:/Users/Me/Desktop/directory/file.txt"));

       pw.println("hello");
       pw.close
    }

}

Double click the file.txt, then save it, command + s, that worked in my case. Also, make sure the file.txt is saved in the project folder. If that does not work.

PrintWriter pw = new PrintWriter(new File("file.txt"));
pw.println("hello world"); // to test if it works.

If you want to use PrintWrite then try this code

public class PrintWriter {
    public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException {

        java.io.PrintWriter pw=new java.io.PrintWriter("file.txt");
        pw.println("hello world");
        pw.flush();
        pw.close();

    }

}
Related