Optimization to find complex number as input

Viewed 1650

I am wondering if there is a C/C++ library or Matlab code technique to determine real and complex numbers using a minimization solver. Here is a code snippet showing what I would like to do. For example, suppose that I know Utilde, but not x and U variables. I want to use optimization (fminsearch) to determine x and U, given Utilde. Note that Utilde is a complex number.

x = 1.5;
U = 50 + 1i*25;
x0 = [1 20];  % starting values
Utilde = U * (1 / exp(2 * x)) * exp( 1i * 2 * x);
xout = fminsearch(@(v)optim(v, Utilde), x0);

function diff = optim(v, Utilde)
x = v(1);
U = v(2);
diff =  abs( -(Utilde/U) + (1 / exp(2 * x)) * exp( 1i * 2 * x  ) );

The code above does not converge to the proper values, and xout = 1.7318 88.8760. However, if U = 50, which is not a complex number, then xout = 1.5000 50.0000, which are the proper values.

Is there a way in Matlab or C/C++ to ensure proper convergence, given Utilde as a complex number? Maybe I have to change the code above?

  • If there isn't a way to do this natively in Matlab, then perhaps one gist of the question is this: Is there a multivariate (i.e. Nelder-Mead or similar algorithm) optimization library that is able to work with real and complex inputs and outputs?

  • Yet another question is whether the function is convergent or not. I don't know if it is the algorithm or the function. Might I need to change something in the Utilde = U * (1 / exp(2 * x)) * exp( 1i * 2 * x) expression to make it convergent?

3 Answers
Related