How to specify path using open file dialog in vb.net?

Viewed 94992

In the first start of my application I need to specify a path to save some files to it. But in the open file dialogue it seems like that I have to select a file to open. How can I just specify a folder without oppening a file like C:\config\

Here is my code

If apppath = "" Then
        Dim fd As OpenFileDialog = New OpenFileDialog()
        fd.Title = "Select Application Configeration Files Path"
        fd.InitialDirectory = "C:\"
        fd.Filter = "All files (*.*)|*.*|All files (*.*)|*.*"
        fd.FilterIndex = 2
        fd.RestoreDirectory = True
        If fd.ShowDialog() = DialogResult.OK Then
            apppath = fd.FileName
        End If
        My.Computer.FileSystem.WriteAllText(apppath & "apppath.txt", apppath, False)
    End If

I need to select a file in order for it to work, but I just want to select a folder. So what's the solution?

6 Answers

Use To:

Dim openFD As New OpenFileDialog()
Dim Directory As string = openFD.FileName

Try this

Private Sub BtnOpen_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles BtnOpen.Click
        Dim openFileDialog1 As New OpenFileDialog()

        openFileDialog1.InitialDirectory = "x_pathfileforsend"
        openFileDialog1.Filter = "txt files (*.txt)|*.txt|*.zip|*.rar|*.ico|*.exe|*.png|*.bmp|All files (*.*)|*.*"
        openFileDialog1.FilterIndex = 5
        openFileDialog1.RestoreDirectory = True

        If openFileDialog1.ShowDialog() = DialogResult.OK Then
            txtpath.Text = openFileDialog1.FileName
        End If
        openFileDialog1.Dispose()

    End Sub
Related