Delete all the queues from RabbitMQ?

Viewed 175835

I installed rabbitmqadmin and was able to list all the exchanges and queues. How can I use rabbitmqadmin or rabbitmqctl to delete all the queues.

27 Answers

Actually super easy with management plugin and policies:

  • Goto Management Console (localhost:15672)

  • Goto Admin tab

  • Goto Policies tab(on the right side)

  • Add Policy

  • Fill Fields

    • Virtual Host: Select
    • Name: Expire All Policies(Delete Later)
    • Pattern: .*
    • Apply to: Queues
    • Definition: expires with value 1 (change type from String to Number)
  • Save

  • Checkout Queues tab again

  • All Queues must be deleted

  • And don't forget to remove policy!!!!!!.

In Rabbit version 3.7.10 you can run below command with root permission:

rabbitmqctl list_queues | awk '{ print $1 }' | xargs -L1 rabbitmqctl delete_queue

Removing all queues using rabbitmqctl one liner

rabbitmqctl list_queues | awk '{ print $1 }' | sed 's/Listing//' | xargs -L1 rabbitmqctl purge_queue

I tried rabbitmqctl and reset commands but they are very slow.

This is the fastest way I found (replace your username and password):

#!/bin/bash

# Stop on error
set -eo pipefail

USER='guest'
PASSWORD='guest'

curl -sSL -u $USER:$PASSWORD http://localhost:15672/api/queues/%2f/ | jq '.[].name' | sed 's/"//g' | xargs -L 1 -I@ curl -XDELETE -sSL -u $USER:$PASSWORD http://localhost:15672/api/queues/%2f/@
# To also delete exchanges uncomment next line
# curl -sSL -u $USER:$PASSWORD http://localhost:15672/api/exchanges/%2f/ | jq '.[].name' | sed 's/"//g' | xargs -L 1 -I@ curl -XDELETE -sSL -u $USER:$PASSWORD http://localhost:15672/api/exchanges/%2f/@

Note: This only works with the default vhost /

To list queues,

./rabbitmqadmin -f tsv -q list queues

To delete a queue,

./rabbitmqadmin delete queue name=name_of_queue

I tried the above pieces of code but I did not do any streaming.

sudo rabbitmqctl list_queues | awk '{print $1}' > queues.txt; for line in $(cat queues.txt); do sudo rabbitmqctl delete_queue "$line"; done.

I generate a file that contains all the queue names and loops through it line by line to the delete them. For the loops, while read ... did not do it for me. It was always stopping at the first queue name.

For whose have a problem with installing rabbitmqadmin, You should firstly install python.

UNIX-like operating system users need to copy rabbitmqadmin to a directory in PATH, e.g. /usr/local/bin.

Windows users will need to ensure Python is on their PATH, and invoke rabbitmqadmin as python.exe rabbitmqadmin.

Then

  1. Browse to http://{hostname}:15672/cli/rabbitmqadmin to download.
  2. Go to the containing folder then run cmd with administrator privilege

To list Queues python rabbitmqadmin list queues.

To delete Queue python rabbitmqadmin delete queue name=Name_of_queue

To Delete all Queues

1- Declare Policy

python rabbitmqadmin declare policy name='expire_all_policies' pattern=.* definition={\"expires\":1} apply-to=queues

2- Remove the policy

python rabbitmqadmin  delete policy name='expire_all_policies'

Okay, important qualifier for this answer: The question does ask to use either rabbitmqctl OR rabbitmqadmin to solve this, my answer needed to use both. Also, note that this was tested on MacOS 10.12.6 and the versions of the rabbitmqctl and rabbitmqadmin that are installed when installing rabbitmq with Homebrew and which is identified with brew list --versions as rabbitmq 3.7.0

rabbitmqctl list_queues -p <VIRTUAL_HOSTNAME> name | sed 1,2d | xargs -I qname rabbitmqadmin --vhost <VIRTUAL_HOSTNAME> delete queue name=qname

Another option is to delete the vhost associated with the queues. This will delete everything associated with the vhost, so be warned, but it is easy and fast.


NOTE: the RabbitMQ team monitors the rabbitmq-users mailing list and only sometimes answers questions on StackOverflow.

This is a method I use. It is easy, clear and effective. This is the document:

Vhost=the_vhost_name
User=user_name
Password=the_passworld

for i in `rabbitmqctl list_queues -p $Vhost |  awk '{ print $1 }'`
do
    echo "queu_name: $i"
    curl  -u $User:$Passworld -H "content-type:application/json"  -XDELETE http://localhost:15672/api/queues/$Vhost/$i
done 

Following command worked for me:

sudo rabbitmqctl list_queues | awk '{print $1}' | xargs -I qn sudo rabbitmqctl delete_queue qn

Try this:

rabbitmqctl list_queues -q name > q.txt
IFS=$'\n' read -d '' -r -a queues < q.txt
count=${#queues[@]}
i=1; while (($i < $count)); do echo ${queues[$i]};rabbitmqctl delete_queue ${queues[$i]};i=$((i+1)); done

As per https://stackoverflow.com/a/52002145/3278855

To automate that, it's possible to use this curl:

curl -X PUT --data '{"pattern":".*","apply-to":"all","definition":{"expires":1},"priority":0}' -u guest:guest 'http://localhost:15672/api/policies/%2f/clear' && \
curl -X DELETE -u guest:guest 'http://localhost:15672/api/policies/%2f/clear'

Please note that %2f is default vhost name (/) and guest:guest is login:password

Related