How to insert DECIMAL into MySQL database

Viewed 175877

I have a database table with some fields, one of them, cost, is set to the DECIMAL data type. I set the parameters to 4,2, which should allow 4 numbers before the decimal point, and 2 afterwards.

(I've been told that the 4 here is the total amount, and the 2 is the amount after the decimal, could somebody please clear that up on a side note?)

When I insert data via a POST request (the value 3.80 for example) the data stored to my database is actually 99.99.

What am I doing wrong to cause this?

Here's the table:

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `mytable` (
`id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
`title` varchar(256) NOT NULL,
`cost` decimal(4,2) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`id`)
)

Here's my add query:

INSERT INTO mytable (`id`,`title`,`cost`) 
VALUES (0, 'test title', '3.80')

Update: It works after I changed 4,2 to 6,2

3 Answers
Related