Enforcing a model's boolean value to be true using data annotations

Viewed 18228

Simple problem here (I think).

I have a form with a checkbox at the bottom where the user must agree to the terms and conditions. If the user doesn't check the box, I'd like an error message to be displayed in my validation summary along with the other form errors.

I added this to my view model:

[Required]
[Range(1, 1, ErrorMessage = "You must agree to the Terms and Conditions")]
public bool AgreeTerms { get; set; }

But that didn't work.

Is there an easy way to force a value to be true with data annotations?

4 Answers

There's actually a way to make it work with DataAnnotations. The following way:

    [Required]
    [Range(typeof(bool), "true", "true")]
    public bool AcceptTerms { get; set; }

ASP.Net Core 3.1

I know this is a very old question but for asp.net core the IClientValidatable does not exist and i wanted a solution that works with jQuery Unobtrusive Validation as well as on server validation so with the help of this SO question Link i made a small modification that works with boolean field like checkboxes.

Attribute Code

   [AttributeUsage(AttributeTargets.Property, AllowMultiple = false, Inherited = false)]
    public class MustBeTrueAttribute : ValidationAttribute, IClientModelValidator
    {
        public void AddValidation(ClientModelValidationContext context)
        {
            MergeAttribute(context.Attributes, "data-val", "true");
            var errorMsg = FormatErrorMessage(context.ModelMetadata.GetDisplayName());
            MergeAttribute(context.Attributes, "data-val-mustbetrue", errorMsg);
        }

        public override bool IsValid(object value)
        {
            return value != null && (bool)value == true;
        }

        private bool MergeAttribute(
                  IDictionary<string, string> attributes,
                  string key,
                  string value)
        {
            if (attributes.ContainsKey(key))
            {
                return false;
            }
            attributes.Add(key, value);
            return true;
        }

    }

Model

    [Display(Name = "Privacy policy")]
    [MustBeTrue(ErrorMessage = "Please accept our privacy policy!")]
    public bool PrivacyPolicy { get; set; }

Client Side Code

$.validator.addMethod("mustbetrue",
    function (value, element, parameters) {
        return element.checked;
    });

$.validator.unobtrusive.adapters.add("mustbetrue", [], function (options) {
    options.rules.mustbetrue = {};
    options.messages["mustbetrue"] = options.message;
});
Related