how to stream sound in java without delay using SourceDataLine

Viewed 19340

I want to generate sounds based on user's action in Java. Even if I set the buffer size in SourceDataLine to the smallest possible value (1 frame) I still have delay of about 1 second.

Because a code snippet is worth a thousand words (or was it a picture?), here is the code:

import javax.sound.sampled.AudioFormat;
import javax.sound.sampled.AudioSystem;
import javax.sound.sampled.DataLine;
import javax.sound.sampled.SourceDataLine;
import javax.swing.JFrame;
import javax.swing.JSlider;
import javax.swing.event.ChangeEvent;
import javax.swing.event.ChangeListener;

public class SoundTest {

    private static int sliderValue = 500;

    public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
        final JFrame frame = new JFrame();
        final JSlider slider = new JSlider(500, 1000);
        frame.add(slider);
        slider.addChangeListener(new ChangeListener() {
            @Override
            public void stateChanged(ChangeEvent e) {
                sliderValue = slider.getValue();
            }
        });
        frame.pack();
        frame.setVisible(true);

        final AudioFormat audioFormat = new AudioFormat(44100, 8, 1, true, true);
        final DataLine.Info info = new DataLine.Info(SourceDataLine.class, audioFormat, 1);
        final SourceDataLine soundLine = (SourceDataLine) AudioSystem.getLine(info);
        soundLine.open(audioFormat);
        soundLine.start();
        byte counter = 0;
        final byte[] buffer = new byte[1];
        byte sign = 1;
        while (frame.isVisible()) {
            if (counter > audioFormat.getFrameRate() / sliderValue) {
                sign = (byte) -sign;
                counter = 0;
            }
            buffer[0] = (byte) (sign * 30);
            soundLine.write(buffer, 0, 1);
            counter++;
        }
    }
}

Try moving the slider while listening to the sound. Is it possible, or do I have to create in-memory buffers and wrap them in Clip instances?

1 Answers
Related