How can I transform the coordinates of a Shapefile?

Viewed 3855

I am trying to get neighborhood data into my application, and I'm having problems with the data I am using, which I got from here.

This file contains a shapefile that has the neighborhoods of San Francisco. I am running a Ruby on Rails framework, and I'm currently using GeoRuby to parse the shapefile.

The code looks like this:

def self.run_import
  shpfile = '/path/to/realtor_neighborhoods/realtor_neighborhoods'
  ShpFile.open(shpfile) do |shp|
    shp.each do |shape|
      # This gets the first (and only) Polygon from each MultiPolygon
      polygon = shape.geometry.geometries.first 
      puts polygon.inspect
    end
  end
end

The code is able to parse the file, but I am unable to understand the coordinates as interpreted. All of the points have values in the millions, when I would expect coordinates between -180 and 180, for valid latitude and longitude. Take a look at an example point:

<GeoRuby::SimpleFeatures::Point:0x00000104566a08 @srid=4326, @with_z=false, \
   @with_m=false, @x=6015402.9999795845, @y=2114960.4999904726, @z=0.0, @m=0.0>,

What is the format of these coordinate values? How can I convert them to values that are meaningful to me? (i.e. latitude/longitude based on the SRID 4326 <=> WGS84 spatial reference system)

Thank you in advance!

4 Answers
Related