3 Swing applications designs : which is the best?

Viewed 4627

I'm quite new in desktop applications development and I have a pretty big project do deliver this summer. The thing is that the code has to be very clear, so I won't go in (much) trouble when I will update it.

As a result, I want a good "separation of concerns". And the most difficult part to me is the View-Controller separation.

Now, I have read lots of tutorials, discussions etc. And I have designed a mini-app in 3 different ways. The app is simple : click on a button that transform a label to a "Hello world".

What do you think of those 3 designs ?

Is there a better design to meet my expectations ?

Design 1

View1.java :

public View1() {
    initComponents();
    this.controller = new Controller1(this);
}

private Controller1 controller;

public void updateLabel(String message){
    this.jLabel1.setText(message);
}

private void jButton1ActionPerformed(java.awt.event.ActionEvent evt) {
    this.controller.doSomething();
}

private void initComponents() {
...
jButton1.addActionListener(new java.awt.event.ActionListener() {
        public void actionPerformed(java.awt.event.ActionEvent evt) {
            jButton1ActionPerformed(evt);
        }
    });
...}

Controller1.java :

public class Controller1 {
    public Controller1(View1 v){
        this.view = v;
    }

    public void doSomething(){
        this.view.updateLabel("Hello world");
    }

    private View1 view;
}

Design 2

View2.java :

public View2() {
        initComponents();
        this.controller = new Controller2(this);

        jButton1.addActionListener(new java.awt.event.ActionListener() {
            public void actionPerformed(java.awt.event.ActionEvent evt) {
                controller.doSomething();
            }
        });
    }
    public void updateLabel(String message){
        this.jLabel1.setText(message);
    }
    private Controller2 controller;
  ...

}

Controller2.java :

public class Controller2 {

        public Controller2(View2 v){
            this.view = v;
        }

        public void doSomething(){
            this.view.updateLabel("Hello world");
        }

        private View2 view;
}

Design 3

View3.java :

public View3() {
        initComponents();
        this.controller = new Controller3(this);
        this.jButton1.addActionListener(this.controller.listener);
    }
    private Controller3 controller;
    public void updateLabel(String message){
        this.jLabel1.setText(message);
    }
...}

Controller3.java :

public class Controller3 {

    public Controller3(View3 v){
        this.view = v;
        this.listener = new MyListener(v);
    }

    private View3 view;
    public MyListener listener;
}

MyListener.java :

public class MyListener implements ActionListener{
    private View3 view;

    public MyListener(View3 v){
        this.view = v;
    }

    public void actionPerformed(java.awt.event.ActionEvent evt) {
                this.view.updateLabel("Hello world");
            }
}
4 Answers
Related