Filter multidimensional array based on partial match of search value

Viewed 42647

I'm looking for a function where given this array:

array(
 [0] =>
  array(
   ['text'] =>'I like Apples'
   ['id'] =>'102923'
 )
 [1] =>
  array(
   ['text'] =>'I like Apples and Bread'
   ['id'] =>'283923'
 )
 [2] =>
  array(
  ['text'] =>'I like Apples, Bread, and Cheese'
  ['id'] =>'3384823'
 )
 [3] =>
  array(
  ['text'] =>'I like Green Eggs and Ham'
  ['id'] =>'4473873'
 ) 
etc.. 

I want to search for the needle

"Bread"

and get the following result

[1] =>
  array(
   ['text'] =>'I like Apples and Bread'
   ['id'] =>'283923'
 )
 [2] =>
  array(
  ['text'] =>'I like Apples, Bread, and Cheese'
  ['id'] =>'3384823'
3 Answers

From PHP8, there is a new function to return a boolean value to express whether a substring occurs in a string (this is offered as a simpler replacement for strpos()).

str_contains()

This would need to be called within an iterating function/construct.

From PHP7.4 arrow functions can be used reduce the overall syntax and invite global variables into the custom function's scope.

Code: (Demo)

$array = [
    ['text' => 'I like Apples', 'id' => '102923'],
    ['text' => 'I like Apples and Bread', 'id' =>'283923'],
    ['text' => 'I like Apples, Bread, and Cheese', 'id' => '3384823'],
    ['text' => 'I like Green Eggs and Ham', 'id' =>'4473873']
];

$search = 'Bread';
var_export(
    array_filter($array, fn($subarray) => str_contains($subarray['text'], $search))
);

Output:

array (
  1 => 
  array (
    'text' => 'I like Apples and Bread',
    'id' => '283923',
  ),
  2 => 
  array (
    'text' => 'I like Apples, Bread, and Cheese',
    'id' => '3384823',
  ),
)
Related