CQRS and primary key: guid or not?

Viewed 2473

For my project, which is a potentially big web site, I have chosen to separate the command interface from the query interface. As a result, submitting commands are one-way operations that don't return a result. This means that the client has to provide the key, for example:

service.SubmitCommand(new AddUserCommand() { UserId = key, ... });

Obviously I can't use an int for the primary key, so a Guid is a logical choice - except that I read everywhere about the performance impact it has, which scares me :)

But then I also read about COMB Guids, and how they provide the advantages of Guid's while still having a good performance. I also found an implementation here: Sequential GUID in Linq-to-Sql?.

So before I take this important decision: does someone have experience with this matter, of advice?

Thanks a lot!

Lud

3 Answers
Related