Calling Macro function in Velocity template

Viewed 25497

I am trying to figure out how to return a value from a velocity macro call and assign it to a varaible

my macro function looks something like this. its once in common shared macros files

#macro(getBookListLink, $readingTrackerResult)
   $readingTrackerResult.getBookListLink()
#end

I am need to assign the result of this macro to a variable in another velocity template file

I tried something like this

#set($book_list_link = #getBookListLink( $readingTrackerResult ))

but did not work. I tried with #,$ and with nothing in front of function getBookListLink. but nothing worked. Can not i return from a macro? something wrong with my macro?

But, As such if i call #getBookListLink( $readingTrackerResult ) separately in html file. it works and i can print the result to UI. But not able to assign to a variable.

6 Answers

Just another example to illustrate the principle :

Macro definition :

#macro ( getValue $flag )
#if ( $flag )
#set($value = "TRUE" )
#else
#set($value = "FALSE" )
#end
${value}## (ends with a comment to avoid "END-OF-LINE" in the resulting string)
#end

Call :

#set($myval = "#getValue( true )" )

A macro parameter can be a list of objects. The called macro can extract each object from the list, manipulate it, and then the caller will see the changes.

#macro(call $something)
  #set($swallowOutput = $something)
#end

#macro(doSomething $out)
  #set($list=$out.get(0))
  #call($list.add("hallo-1")
  #call($list.add("hallo-2")
#end

#macro(doMoreComplexStuff)
  #set($myList=[])
  #doSomething([$myList])
  MyList now has $myList.size()) elements: $myList
#end
Related