Encoding mail subject (SMTP) in Python with non-ASCII characters

Viewed 17987

I am using Python module MimeWriter to construct a message and smtplib to send a mail constructed message is:

file msg.txt:
-----------------------
Content-Type: multipart/mixed;
from: me<me@abc.com>
to: me@abc.com
subject: 主題

Content-Type: text/plain;charset=utf-8

主題

I use the code below to send a mail:

import smtplib
s=smtplib.SMTP('smtp.abc.com')
toList = ['me@abc.com']
f=open('msg.txt') #above msg in msg.txt file
msg=f.read()
f.close()
s.sendmail('me@abc.com',toList,msg)

I get mail body correctly but subject is not proper,

subject: some junk characters

主題           <- body is correct.

Please suggest? Is there any way to specify the decoding to be used for the subject also, as being specified for the body. How can I get the subject decoded correctly?

3 Answers

In short, if you use the EmailMessage API, you should code like this:

from email.message import EmailMessage
from email.header import Header
msg = EmailMessage()
msg['Subject'] = Header('主題', 'utf-8').encode()

Answer from @Sérgio cannot be used in the EmailMessage API, cause only string object can be assigned to EmailMessage()["Subject"], but not an email.header.Header object.

Related