How do I 'run as' 'Network Service'?

Viewed 86423

I am trying to run a process as another account. I have the command:

runas "/user:WIN-CLR8YU96CL5\network service" "abwsx1.exe"

but then this asks for the password. However there is no password set for the network service.

Is what I am trying to do possible?

5 Answers

I know this is an old thread but it is the top result for this problem and I wanted to be able to run a command using PowerShell without having to install any additional tools on our Windows Server. I came up with the following PowerShell script that creates a scheduled task, runs it, and then deletes it. It is also written to allow you to run the command under different user accounts.

function InstallDotNetCoreGlobalTool($PackageId, $Action = "install", $User = "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE", $Password = "")
{
    $TaskName = "AzureDotNetCoreGlobalToolConfiguration"
    $Command = "dotnet.exe"
    $Arguments = "tool $Action -g " + $PackageId
    $TaskAction = New-ScheduledTaskAction -Execute $Command -Argument $Arguments

    Write-Host "Setting up scheduled task to run" $Command $Arguments

    Register-ScheduledTask -TaskName $TaskName -User $User -Action $TaskAction
    Start-ScheduledTask -TaskName $TaskName

    Write-Host ""
    Write-Host "Waiting on scheduled task to complete."

    while ((Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName $TaskName).State  -ne 'Ready') 
    {
      # keep waiting
    }

    Write-Host ""

    If((Get-ScheduledTask $TaskName | Get-ScheduledTaskInfo).LastTaskResult -eq 0)
    {
        Write-Host $PackageId $Action "completed successfully"
    }
    else
    {
        If ($Action -eq "install")
        {
            Write-Host $PackageId "failed to $Action. Ensure the proper dependencies have been installed or that it isn't already installed."
        }
        Else {
            Write-Host $PackageId "failed to $Action. It may not currently be installed."
        }        
    }

    Unregister-ScheduledTask -TaskName $TaskName -Confirm:$false
}

InstallDotNetCoreGlobalTool "Amazon.Lambda.Tools" "uninstall"
Related