add an onclick event to a div

Viewed 140518

I don't know if this is allowed or even possible. Is it possible to create a div element with an onclick event so that if anywhere in the div's area is clicked, the event will run.

Eg JAVASCRIPT:

var divTag = document.createElement("div");
divTag.id="new-ID"; 
var onClickCommand = "printWorking()"   //printworking is another method that simply print "I'm working" to the console
divTag.onclick = onClickCommand;
console.log("onclick command added");
console.log(divTag.onclick);
parentDiv.appendChild(divTag); //This simply adds the div tag to the page.

HTML generated:

 <!--<div id="new-ID">-->

 whatever content I decide to add to the divTag.innerHTML

I notice how theres no onclick command going through to the generated div. Id this because its not allowed?

So 2 questions then.

1:Is it possible to add onclick to a div and have it occur if any area of the div is clicked. 2:If yes then why is the onclick method not going through to my div.


How very odd:

divTag.setAttribute("onclick", "printWorking()");

Above works flawlessly.

All below don't and wont pass the onclick to the div.

divTag.onclick=printWorking;

divTag.onclick="printWorking";

divTag.onclick="printWorking()";

Multiple other variants have been tried too.

3 Answers
Related