To inline or not to inline

Viewed 2155

I've been writing a few classes lately; and I was wondering whether it's bad practice, bad for performance, breaks encapsulation or whether there's anything else inherently bad with actually defining some of the smaller member functions inside a header (I did try Google!). Here's an example I have of a header I've written with a lot of this:

class Scheduler {
public:
    typedef std::list<BSubsystem*> SubsystemList;

    // Make sure the pointer to entityManager is zero on init
    // so that we can check if one has been attached in Tick()
    Scheduler() : entityManager(0) { }

    // Attaches a manager to the scheduler - used by Tick()
    void AttachEntityManager( EntityManager &em )
        { entityManager = &em; }

    // Detaches the entityManager from a scheduler.
    void DetachEntityManager()
        { entityManager = 0; }

    // Adds a subsystem to the scheduler; executed on Tick()
    void AddSubsystem( BSubsystem* s )
        { subsystemList.push_back(s); }

    // Removes the subsystem of a type given
    void RemoveSubsystem( const SubsystemTypeID& );

    // Executes all subsystems
    void Tick();

    // Destroys subsystems that are in subsystemList
    virtual ~Scheduler();
private:
    // Holds a list of all subsystems
    SubsystemList subsystemList;

    // Holds the entity manager (if attached)
    EntityManager *entityManager;
};

So, is there anything that's really wrong with inlining functions like this, or is it acceptable?

(Also, I'm not sure if this'd be more suited towards the 'code review' site)

7 Answers
Related